The Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure (FFII) has sent me the following e-mail which I pass on here to the readership and crosspost to Law Pundit.
**************** FFII E-Mail, May 16, 2005 *******************
"The debate in the European Parliament on software patents is reaching a critical phase. We expect the vote in the committee for legal affairs (JURI) to take place on 20 or 21 June, and the European Parliament second reading vote to be on 6 July.
MEPs realise that there is much at stake and both sides are devoting a lot of resources to support their case. The companies that remain silent are simply not being counted.
NOW is the time to act. This is the message to pass on to people running businesses most at risk from the software-patent threat.
YOUR HELP IS NEEDED
The FFII is organising a conference on 1 June 2005 in Brussels.
We hope to see you there; see below for details. If you are representing a European enterprise yourself, there are several more things you can do to help us to prevent software patents in the EU. If possible, please take all of the following actions:
*Unless you already did so, please sign the EuroLinux petition (http://petition.eurolinux.org) and the FFII supporter list (http://aktiv.ffii.org/euparl/en).
* In addition to this online "signature", please print out the Call for Action III (http://patinfo.ffii.org/material/cfa/), sign it, and fax it to the FFII at +49-201-755440. We are collecting these signatures in order to attach them to a (paper) letter to the MEPs, similar to what EICTA did in April (see: http://swpat.ffii.org/log/05/eictasme04/pro-patent-smes.pdf). The signatures will not be published anywhere else.
* Please add your company to the "Economic Majority Against Software Patents" list at http://www.economic-majority.com/ .
* Please continue to write (paper) letters to your representatives in the European Parliament explaining, in your own words, why you are concerned.
* Please visit our conference on 1 June in Brussels (see the invitation below). Your presence makes a difference for the MEPs you will meet there.
* Please go to Brussels and explain your concerns to the MEPs. We can help you to arrange a meeting and, if necessary, to find a hotel. Please send questions and possible dates for meeting MEPs to <email@example.com>. We have already arranged and held several meetings, and each one is very significant because it helps MEPs see how important this issue is.
* The week of 17-20th May is constituency week for the MEPs, which means they will be in their home countries. This is an excellent chance for you to get in contact with them and pay them a visit without the need for travelling to Brussels.
For basic introduction to the topic, we recommend (in this order): http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/en/m/basics/index.html http://patinfo.ffii.org/faq.en.html http://swpat.ffii.org/log/intro/index.en.html
If you are convinced about the urgency of this matter but you have difficulties communicating this to your business partners or to your superiors, the following presentation could be useful to you: http://patinfo.ffii.org/material/ing-it/
Thanks to the continuous work of the FFII and its supporters, theMEPs are beginning to understand the problems induced by software patents. It has become obvious that neither the industry nor the academic institutions support the Council version of the directive:
* UEAPME, an umbrella organisation representing 11 million European SMEs employing around 50 million people, finds large companies misrepresenting SMEs' stance on software patents. See: http://wiki.ffii.org/Ueapme050427En
* A German survey of more than 1,000 companies took the German government by surprise when the vast majority spoke out clearly against software patents. See: http://wiki.ffii.org/Ifis050404En
* More recently still, 10,000 to 15,000 students, teachers and staff at more than 35 Spanish universities protested against the directive proposed by the Council. See http://lucha.proinnova.org/ for photos and information.
Several MEPs, including the rapporteur Michel Rocard, have submitted good amendments to the preparatory JURI report on the directive.
Now they need to see their actions legitimised by your support. Your voice will give them the necessary moral backing to convince theircolleagues, and needs to be heard now more than ever.
The FFII cordially invites you to its
Conference on the proposed Software Patent Directive on 1st June 2005 in Brussels
in the European Parliament and the Renaissance Hotel.
Please find the preliminary program here:
The conference is co-organized with the Computer & Communications Industry Association (CCIA) and four European People's Party (EPP) Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) from different countries. The conference is free of charge. You can register either by replying to this email with the form at the bottom filled in, or by visiting the above web page.
Please help us to defend your business against software patents!
With kind regards,
Erik Josefsson Felipe Wersen
Hartmut Pilch Dr. Peter Gerwinski
Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure (FFII)
CONFERENCE REGISTRATION AND SUPPORT
[ ] I will participate in the morning session (Parliament).
[ ] I will participate in the afternoon session (Renaissance Hotel)
[ ] Please contact me to provide help with hotel rooms (Renaissance Hotel, Maison du Dragon Hotel or Gogh Hostel).
[ ] I am representing a company and I wish our company logo to be on the program to show support by sending it to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Note that you can do this even without attending the conference!)
[ ] I am representing a company and willing to publish a statement like http://www.economic-majority.com/testimony/wuensche/, Please contact me for details.
Most Popular Posts All Time
- Fourth European Forum for In-House Counsel : 23-24 April 2009 Brussels : Academy of European Law : European Company Lawyers Association (ECLA/AEJE)
- CarTrawler : An Alleged Car Rental Service to AVOID : CarTrawler is NOT a Full Car Rental Company and Potentially a Scam Costing YOUR money : Updated!
- Germany in the News: Is the German Image Shown by the Press during the Financial Crisis Accurate? 180th Edition of Blawg Review Reposted Here Shows German Americans are the LARGEST Acknowledged Ancestry Group in America
- 2010 Eurovision Song Contest, Oslo, Norway: Geographic Map of Finalists Reveals Clear Pattern : plus Betting Odds and Comments Going into the Finals
- Map of the 28 Member States of the European Union (EU)
- Google Nexus 7 Tablet First Device With Android 4.1 aka Jelly Bean Built by Asus to Sell for $199 (8GB) or $249 (16GB) - Video
- A Europe of Open Borders as Schengen Zone Expands
- GDP Growth in the EU : Latvia Leads the European Union (EU) in the Dynamics of Economies of the Member States
- Update to Previous CarTrawler Posting
- Member States of the European Union : Heritage Foundation & WSJ Information on EU Countries : Click Flags for Economic Freedom Info
Our Websites and Blogs
3D Printing and More 99 is not 100 Aabecis AK Photo Blog Ancient Egypt Weblog Ancient Signs (the book) Ancient World Blog AndisKaulins.com Anthropomorphic Design Archaeology Travel Photos (blog) Archaeology Travel Photos (Flickr) Archaeo Pundit Arts Pundit Astrology and Birth Baltic Coachman Bible Pundit Biotechnology Pundit Book Pundit Chronology of the Ancient World Computer Pundit DVD Pundit Easter Island Script Echolat edu.edu Einstein’s Voice Energy Environment and Climate Blog Etruscan Bronze Liver of Piacenza EU Laws EU Legal EU Pundit FaceBook Pundit Gadget Pundit Garden Pundit Golf Pundit Google Pundit Gourmet Pundit Hand Proof HousePundit Human Migrations Idea Pundit Illyrian Language Indus Valley Script Infinity One : The Secret of the First Disk (the game) Jostandis Journal Pundit Kaulins Genealogy Blog Kaulinsium Kiel & Kieler Latvian Blog LawPundit.com Law Pundit Blog LexiLine.com LexiLine Group Lexiline Journal Library Pundit Lingwhizt LinkedIn Literary Pundit Magnifichess Make it Music Maps and Cartography Megalithic World Megaliths Blog Megaliths.net Minoan Culture Mutatis Mutandis Nanotech Pundit Nostratic Languages Official Pundit Phaistos Disc Pharaonic Hieroglyphs Photo Blog of the World Pinterest Prehistoric Art Pundit Private Wealth Blog PunditMania Quanticalian Quick to Travel Quill Pundit Road Pundit Shelfari Sky Earth Drones Sky Earth Native America SlideShare (akaulins) Sport Pundit Star Pundit Stars Stones and Scholars (blog) Stars Stones and Scholars (book) Stonehenge Pundit The Enchanted Glass Twitter Pundit UbiquitousPundit Vision of Change VoicePundit WatchPundit Wearable Technology Wizard WeTechWi Wine Pundit Word Pundit xistmz YahooPundit zistmz